Advertisement

A quick response by 13 members of the Iqaluit Fire Department early Friday morning limited damage to a multiplex in the 300 block of the city, but an occupant of one of the residences had to be transported to Qikiqtani General Hospital for treatment.

A fire broke out at a multiplex unit in the 300 block of Iqaluit around 5 a.m. on Friday morning.
image courtesy of the City of Iqaluit

The blaze, which broke out close to 5 a.m., is under investigation by the RCMP with assistance from the Office of the Fire Marshal.

Other units in the building suffered smoke damage. The police will hand over the multiplex to housing authority officials after gathering information.

Working smoke alarms in the units helped alert residents to the fire quickly and allowed them to exit the building safely, according to a City of Iqaluit news release.

“This is a reminder for everyone to check the batteries and operation of their smoke alarms,” the news release states.

 

 

 

Advertisement

Derek Neary

Derek Neary has been reporting on developments in the North for 18 years. When he's not writing for Nunavut News, he's working on Northern News Services' special publications such as Opportunities North,...

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.